Are you tired of having dry, brittle and frizzy hair?
The more heat we apply to our hair, the faster we will destroy the natural keratin and molecule levels, resulting in damaged and broken hair.
The only way to avoid this from occurring is to protect your hair with a heat protectant, such as a spray, cream or serum. In this article we will be discussing how to choose the best heat protectant for natural hair.
Why Do We Need to Protect Our Hair From Heat?
Our hair is basically made up of delicate dead fiber. Once our hair emerges from our scalp, it doesn’t have any more active cells. So it can easily be damaged and since it doesn’t have any active cells, your hair has no way of repairing the damage.
Most of us daily use hair dryers, flat irons, or use other heated styling techniques.
Heat is our hair’s enemy! Heat destroys our hair at a molecular level and destroys the keratin structure. Overtime, heat can cause our hair to melt or to breakdown, causing our hair to have dry, brittle split ends and out of control frizziness.
Overtime, our hair’s natural bounce becomes irreversibly ruined. The more your hair is damaged, the faster the damage will spread to new growth. Many of us, cannot leave our house without styling our hair with a heated styling appliance. Is there anyway we can protect our precious hair from drying out?
The only way to prevent our hair from heat damage is by using some of the best heat protectants for natural hair on the market today. These products can help prolong the life of your hair and restore it’s vitality.
What Are Heat Protectants?
It is like a sun block for your hair. It will prevent the extreme heat from penetrating deep into our hair molecules and destroying it. Most heat protectants are a silicone formulation that repels heat. They can be made up of a number of different ingredients, the most common being hydrolyzed proteins, amino acids, silicones and also, polyquats.
How Can a Heat Protectant Prevent Your Hair From Being Damaged?
They help reduce the molecular breakdown of our hair. Also, they prevent the hair strands from drying out and helps water retention found in each strand. By allowing the hair strands to hold it’s moisture, it will reduce the hair cuticles from cracking and allow the hair to keep it bounce and strength.
There are an endless amount of natural oils that help repair the damage caused from heat styling but they don’t protect your hair from heat. Heat protectants will not only protect your hair from excess heat but they will also nourish your hair. These protectants will protect your hair strands from the root right up to the tip, preventing thermal damage and rehydrating each strand.
Best Heat Protectants for Natural Hair for 2017
We have tested an endless amount of heat protectants. The following list is of the Top 5 on the market today. We are positive that you and your hair will love each one of them. Your hair will be thanking you every time you use one of these fabulous products.
This spray is ideal for styling your hair with a flat iron. It offers a tough thermal protection against the extreme heat from the direct contact with your flat iron. The argan oil and vitamin infusion leaves your hair looking smooth and shiny. It will keep your hair hydrated and frizz-free.
- HSI Professional offers a 30-day guarantee on all their products. If you are not 100% satisfied within 30-days, you can return it for a full refund. They stand behind their products and aim to please.
- Works wonders on straight, wavy and curly hair. Also, natural hair extensions respond well to this product.
- The added argan oil adds bounce to all types of hair, even color-treated hair.
- It has a strong smell, which can be hard to handle for those who are sensitive to scents.
- On extremely thin hair, it can weigh the hair down making it greasy and dirty.
If you are looking for lustrous, shiny hair that looks like flowing silk, look no further, as this is the product for you. This is one of the best heat protectants for natural hair on the market.
It is enriched with pure silk and has wheat and soy proteins that strengthen the hair strands. Heat from styling will insure a deep penetration of the soy, wheat and silk proteins. These proteins are activated upon receiving a blast of heat, causing them to be absorbed by your hair. It makes your incredibly shining and soft.
- It works wonders on all types of hair, even the frizziest and curliest hair in the world. Allowing you and your hair to show off your maximum potential.
- It actually can help your hair dry faster when using a hair dryer. It can reduce the time exposing your hair to extreme heat by up to 70%. The less time your hair is exposed to excessive heat from your hair dryer, the better.
- It is one of the more expensive heat protectants on the market. Make sure you buy from a reliable retailer because there are many fake imitations on the market.
- The oil proteins found in this product can build up over time on your hair follicles, causing your hair to look weighed down and greasy. It is recommended to use a clarifying shampoo once a week to maintain that soft silky look.
- It can cause thin and fine hair to become weighed down, resulting in greasy, limp hair.
Arvazillia Heat Protector Plus with Argan oil is exactly what your hair needs to shine like never before. It has been formulated to be an extremely lightweight spray that will protect your hair from the harshest heated styling techniques.
It has been designed by applying two layers of protection for your hair, protecting your hair from the heat and damage caused from styling tools that can pull and tear your hair follicles. It has been designed to penetrate your hair strands to repair pre-existing damage and preventing breakage and split ends.
It contains Argan oil that moisturizes your hair, allowing it to show its full potential. It has been formulated with Arvazillia signature fragrance, which will leave your hair smelling amazing all day long.
- It works great on all types of hair types including natural hair, color-treated hair, wigs and al type of extensions. It doesn’t weigh down extremely thin hair as other heat protectants do.
- This product offers a ton of bang for a relatively small price. It gets passed over because of the simple packaging but see past the packaging for the life-changing product within the packaging.
- The spray comes out in a soft mist, preventing your hair from becoming weighed down and greasy. It is very easy to apply and the mist covers all of your hair follicles in seconds.
- This product can repair hair that has been badly damaged, even considered beyond repair. Rejuvenating your hair from being dry and brittle to a soft, silky and healthy hair.
- The product’s packaging is quite cheap and poor quality. The sprayer if not correctly used, can break and without the sprayer your hair will become weighed down and limp. If you have another sprayer that is the same size, you could replace it.
- The oil proteins in the heat protectant can cause your hair to become weighed down and limp because of the buildup of excess oils. It is recommended to a clarifying shampoo to remove the excess oils.
- The signature fragrance can be hard to handle for those that are sensitive to perfumes.
- It contains cyclotetrasilcone that has been known to cause some people to have an allergic reaction or skin irritation.
This thermal hair protector has been designed to protect your hair follicles from your hot flat iron. It is a leave-in conditioner that will protect and rehydrate your hair from styling techniques that involved a hair blower, curling iron or your dearly beloved flat iron.
It is made up with herbal extracts that add much needed moisture to your hair follicles and protect each hair strand from heated styling techniques. The natural herbal extracts act as a detangler for wild and thick hair.
This thermal heat protectant also protects your hair from the intensive damage from the sunshine. It is easy to apply before engaging in outdoor activities.
All of the ingredients used in this product are 100% natural and Paraben free and cruelty free against animals.
- It has an enticing smell that makes using it even more enjoyable.
- It is the most affordable thermal heat protectant on the market and works wonders on all types of hair, including the heavily color-treated hair.
- It is chemical-free. It doesn’t contain harmful chemicals that can cause allergies or skin irritations.
- It is safe to use on your children, because it doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients.
- Since it only contains natural ingredients, it is necessary to shake the bottle well before use. As the natural oils can become separated and a quick shake gets everything correctly combined again.
- The spray nozzle can get clogged down causing the spray to come out as a stream of liquid instead of a nice soft mist.
- Fine hair cannot absorb all the natural oils in this heat protectant, resulting in sticky and heavily weighed down hair.
- It can cause hair to become weighed down with excess proteins found in the oils. It is recommended to use a clarifying shampoo once a week to prevent this from happening.
TRESemme have created a wonderful product in this price range for a heat protectant. It can stand up to the extreme heat from any flat iron, hair blower and curling irons.
Also, the spray helps prevent friction caused from heated styling techniques that can make your hair frizzy and unruly. A very small amount of this spray leaves your hair silky smooth, making you the envy of all your friends.
The formula is heat-activated, which will enhance your hair’s natural beauty allowing it to have more flexibly and bounce. The added flexibility will make your hair even easier to style.
- The price is right. You can’t beat the price, offering you an excellent product for an economical value. It is a fantastic option for the styling diva that is on a tight budget.
- It is available at almost all supermarkets and stores throughout the North America.
- It actually works great on thin hair. It doesn’t cause fine hair to become weighed down as other heat protectant sprays might. It works wonders on all types of hair, the more damaged, the better results.
- The sprayer isn’t the highest quality and can easily slip off, causing unwanted spillage. Also, the bottle is cheaply made and can be hard to handle without popping off the lid. It is recommended to change containers for something a little sturdier.
- If not applied correctly, it can actually make your hair a frizzy, unruly mess.
- Some of ingredients used are known to cause allergies or skin irritations. Also, the scent can be troublesome for those that are sensitive to scents
Now, you can say farewell to dry, brittle and frizzy hair by using the one of the best heat protectant for natural hair. No matter what type of the hair you have, there is a heat protectant for you, even if it is tight curly hair to very thin fine hair.
Hair protectants protect your locks from any heated styling techniques you might be using on your hair. We are sure all of these products will add the luster you are looking for.