Do you know how to look after your curly hair?
If the answer is no, then read ahead for some epic curly hair care tips.
If the answer is yes, then still read ahead as you will very likely learn something new about your curls!
Curly hair is pretentious in styling until you find the right haircut and the right styling products. When it happens, you will not ever feel unhappy again with your curly hair.
In case you are firmly convinced that curls do not look good on you, you can anytime get an extra short haircut, but we would recommend that you at least try a short haircut with tapered sides, possibly with undercuts or consider short-to-medium styles.
How Guys Should Start Taking Care of Their Manes
Men’s Curly Hairstyles and Haircuts
Anyway, here’s the best selection of different curly hairstyles for men. Take a minute to get a new hair idea for your curls!
Put in minimal effort into this chic, beach look. Not all curly hair styles for men need much product to work. Whether you have long or short hair, take advantage of your hair’s natural volume and texture by letting it fly. All you have to do is to give your hair a defining side part.
Long Beach Cut
This look is for guys who have long, but not-so-thick mane. There is nothing better than having a look that says you have just come from a dive, just like Adrian Grenier. With the help of a little mousse, you can get this look.
Short Sophisticated Cut
For guys who’ve shorter hair and a penchant for neatness, this can be a great cut. Moreover, the best part of this look is that it is relatively easy to maintain. A little gel and an easy-conditioner would help you achieve this Justin Timberlake look.
Tight Fashionable Cut
A little pomade or serum will define and add shine to your short and rigid curls, like how it is done for Bradley Cooper.
Your curly hair would require a little more of your attention- agreed! However, with these tips and tricks, you can be on your way to attaining curly stardom.
Style Curly Hair-The Technique
- When you style your curly hair, it boils down to reducing frizz and define the curls.
- This can only be achieved when your hair is damp (not dripping wet).
- Most people get that wrong as they try to tame their curly hair when dry, which makes the problem worse.
- Shake your head off excess water or towel-dry your hair, before applying the styling product.
- Do not, we repeat, do not blow dry your hair. It might end up looking like a hornet’s nest.
Stop Shampooing Those Curl So Much
Stop shampooing every day and experiment with your frequency of shampoo use. It is recommended curly to start with one shampoo/1 day, no shampoo; that is, skip the shampoo every other day.
From there onwards, decrease the frequency of shampoo a bit more every two weeks, all of this based upon observation as explained in my No Shampoo method.
Curly hair is naturally predisposed to being dry due to the difficulty that scalp sebum has in travelling through the hair shaft. Shampoos obliterated the sebum already coating your hair and will instantly make your hair dry.
Use A Hair Conditioner
A conditioner is the kind of hair product that will only get you blank stares when you ask any guy about it; yet, conditioners are too awesome not to be aware of what they are and do. Simply put, hair conditioners allow you to enhance the feel, look and styling of your curls; similar to how your sebum works actually.
To use a conditioner, simply wet your hair and then coat the hair with the conditioner. Leave the conditioner coating your hair for about two minutes and then rinse the conditioner. Ideally, do this while in the shower and use the conditioner right after shampooing if your optimal shampoo frequency calls for a shampooing day.
Use wide-tooth comb or fingers
Every time a curly guy complains to me of frizzy curls and how he seems to have a ball of tumbleweed atop his head always ask him if he uses a regular comb to style his hair.
Moreover, 99% of the times, the answer will be a resounding “Yes”. It boggles my mind how so many curly men will be happy to pull, twist and tear apart their fragile curly locks in the name of ignorance.
I have lost count of how many articles I have written talking about how you, kinky man, should avoid regular combs like Justin Bieber avoids the squat rack (unless he is doing bro curls inside the rack, how not).
Case in point, either use your fingers to style your curls or use a high-quality wide-tooth comb to style your mane. Ideally, use the wide-tooth comb only to set the curls on your head, and then use your fingers to do all the shaping and styling.
- Hair Oil Conditioner – No matter what style or cut you opt for, using an oil-based conditioner becomes imperative. As your hair dries, the frizz and volume on your head do not let your scalp breathe. Using a conditioner would ensure your scalp is hydrated, and your curls are tamed.
- Pomade – Invest in high-quality pomade as this styling product works best in giving definition to your curls. You may not use it every day, which is fine, but having pomade in your bathroom closet for those special evenings is important in the maintenance of curly mane, irrespective of the hair length. They also add shine to the hair.
- Hairspray – Instead of using a blow dry, you can use hair spray to lock your hairstyle in its position after you have used the styling product.
- Gentle Shampoo – Do not shampoo daily for it will leave your hair drier than a desert, instead, do it after 2-3 days. On the days when you do not use shampoo, you can groom your hair. Also, do not use a brush to comb your hair. That will make your mane Use your hands or a wide-toothed comb to style your hair
Curly hair is awesome it is. At Manly Curls, we are proud of being men with curly hair and leading this movement. Do yourself a favor and start today, applying these excellent tips for curly hair men because, curly brother, curly hair is not a hairstyle, it is a lifestyle!