I hope you’ll agree with me when I say:
“Hair color is one of the most revolutionary beauty tools.”
It allows women to look any way they want with very little trouble at all. There are hair color trends that come and go, but the blue-black hair color is always on point.
It looks great on just about everyone and the shimmering color slightly changes in the sunlight.
Even though this color has been around for decades, it continues to be modern, luxurious, and classic.
When looking for the best blue black hair dye, it is important to consider more than just the final color otherwise you could end up with damaged hair.
- Types of Hair Color
- Ammonia or Not?
- Reviewing the Best Blue Black Hair Dye
- 1. Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color – Creme 22 Intense Blue Black
- 2. Vidal Sassoon London Luxe – Midnight Muse Blue
- 3. L’Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss Hair Color – 2B Blue Black
- 4. Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina – Hair Color Kit Blue Black
- 5. Revlon Luxurious Colorsilk – Buttercream Blue Black
- 6. Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Hair Color 124 – 2BB Natural Blue Black 1 Kit
- 7. Goldwell Topchic Hair Color Coloration – (Tube) 2A Blue Black
- 8. Softsheen Carson Fade Resist Rich Conditioning – Color Midnight Blue – 382
- 9. L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Hair Color – 2BL Black Sapphire
- 10. John Frieda Precision – Foam Colour Blue Black
Types of Hair Color
The semi-permanent color is like a rinse, but they last longer because they use heat to seal into the hair. Most semi-permanent colors need at least 30 minutes of heat to set properly. Like rinses, they are free of harmful chemicals, but they do not last very long – up to 12 shampoos.
The demi-permanent color does last longer and this type does include some peroxide. They are still ammonia-free. If you have gray hair, this type of color does cover them. You can expect demi-permanent colors to last 24 shampoos.
Lastly, permanent colors are another option. Salon stylists are best at applying this type of hair dye because the product does include ammonia and peroxide. Over time, the color does fade and it should be reapplied as the roots begin to show.
Ammonia or Not?
One of the biggest questions with hair dye is whether to use formulas with ammonia or not. To decide whether you want an ammonia-based hair dye or not, there are a few important considerations to make.
First, ammonia opens the hair cuticle so the color can do deep into the cortex. It does this by raising the pH. Ammonia also neutralizes the current pigment in the hair. But, when ammonia does its job, hair does get damaged through moisture loss.
As the pH is raised, the cuticle remains open and does not return to the original level of pH. Color does fade as the cuticle stays open.
Hair dyes without ammonia still need to open the hair cuticle, but they do it with a different chemical. Ammonia is rather harsh on the hair, but the replacement chemical called ethanolamine raises the pH, but most brands will use a neutralizing formula to neutralize the pH.
The problem with ethanolamine is that it does not allow the hair color to saturate the cuticle like an ammonia-based produce. So, no matter what chemical is used, ammonia or ethanolamine, the hair cuticle still has to open for the color. Ethanolamine does not have the noticeable smell that ammonia has, which does make it an attractive option for many stylists.
Ammonia-free hair dyes are good choices for women who do not want a major hair change, but prefer something more subtle.
Reviewing the Best Blue Black Hair Dye
1. Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color – Creme 22 Intense Blue Black
Most permanent color brands are made of harsh chemicals, but Garnier Nutrisse includes actual fruit oils that help nourish hair. With avocado oil, olive oil, and shea oil, using Garnier Nutrisse actually helps the hair rather than hurt it. The formula is designed to provide 100% coverage of grays. Dark blue black hair shows off grays better than any color, because of the contrast, so it is important for hair dye to do its job and cover those pesky grays.
- This hair dye results in bold, rich colors
- Garnier Nutrisse results in shiny hair.
- It includes a formula that has color-boost technology.
- The nourishing fruit oils set it apart from other chemical-laden formulas.
- The box contains nourishing condition from Garnier
- Leave the messes behind with the non-drip formula
- This is an affordable hair dye priced in the middle of the boxes on this list.
- The blue-black color has very little blue in it.
- Long hair needs two boxes.
2. Vidal Sassoon London Luxe – Midnight Muse Blue
Vidal Sassoon has developed a hair color formula that lasts up to eight weeks. The formula is responsible for making bold and vibrant color that looks like it came right from the salon. Each box includes one application. This color is semi-permanent and includes the proper pigments for the color you expect to get. The box of Vidal Sassoon London Luxe also includes their HydraBlock Color Preserving Conditioner to prevent fading. The color is expected to last up to 40 washes – wish is a long time for a semi-permanent color.
- The Vidal Sassoon London Luxe lasts up to 40 washes.
- The formula adds shine and gloss.
- The formula has great coverage so you do not have to worry about patches spots.
- This color has a blue sheen that tones down the black color.
- If you want to cover the grays, add the ”no gray” drops to the mixture.
- As a semi-permanent color, it does begin to wash out quickly.
- To fully cover gray, that hair needs more time for coverage.
- This box of hair dye is in the middle of the prices on this list.
3. L’Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss Hair Color – 2B Blue Black
If you are looking for a hair dye that adds gloss and shine, this box of hair color has it. L’Oreal Healthy Look Creme is a non-permanent hair color that stops dryness. To keep your hair moisturized, the formula includes royal jelly and pomegranate. It is formulated to last for about 28 shampoos.
- Healthy Look Creme covers grays well.
- This is one of the lowest priced hair dyes on this list.
- If you get the dye on your skin, it cleans off very easily.
- The box of hair dye includes royal jelly conditioner for added softness.
- The hair dye fades quickly.
- Unfortunately, the hair dye formula does contain ammonia.
- The lighter colors in this line of hair dye might have peroxide.
4. Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina – Hair Color Kit Blue Black
Clairol is another extremely recognizable name in hair color. This hair color is non-permanent and it contains keratin to protect the hair from damage at all times. The formula is ammonia-free to safely color hair. The box of hair color comes with a conditioner with coconut oil. You can have your hair colored in 20 minutes – even if you have dark hair. It is designed to last for 28 shampoos. Formula does not drip.
- Natural Instincts leaves hair feeling soft and silky.
- This is one of the most affordable brands of hair dye.
- The formula and directions make it easy to apply.
- The formula does not cover grays well, but leaves them lighter than the rest of the hair.
- The color results do not always match the color on the box.
- It does take a long time to rinse out the hair dye when the time is up.
5. Revlon Luxurious Colorsilk – Buttercream Blue Black
This ammonia-free formula is designed to provide rich color while hydrating the hair. The formula includes argan oil as well as Revlon’s triple butter complex. If you use this product, your hair will feel fabulous. The triple butter formula includes three rich butters from mango, shea, and coconut. The formula is designed to cover all grays no matter what shade you decide to use. The conditioner that comes in the box is twice that of other brands.
- This brand provides rich color with luxurious formula.
- It thoroughly covers grays.
- The formula delivers healthy hair due to the rich butters included in it.
- The formula is also ammonia-free.
- The formula dyes hair, but the color fades quickly.
- This brand and formula is one of the more expensive ones on the list.
6. Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Hair Color 124 – 2BB Natural Blue Black 1 Kit
Colored hair needs to be touched up on a regular basis which is why the Clairol Nice ‘n Easy three-pack is wise choice. Nice ‘n Easy has been a favorite product with women for decades and the formula continues to deliver. It creates a color with dimension and shine. Some brands have formulas that make hair look flat, but not this one. This brand completely covers gray hairs and adds richness to hair. It only takes about 30 minutes to complete the hair color and it comes with the ColorSeal Conditioner to lock in the moisture.
- This package includes three boxes for easy color maintenance.
- Nice n’ Easy is known for successfully covering grays.
- It is a good choice for covering roots.
- The three boxes come at an affordable price.
- All three boxes include the moisturizing ColorSeal Conditioner.
- The rich color lasts up to eight weeks.
- While it does color grays, the pesky hairs turn out lighter than rest of hair.
7. Goldwell Topchic Hair Color Coloration – (Tube) 2A Blue Black
This hair color tube uses much less packaging to provide top color. The brand won an award from stylists. This permanent hair dye uses a formula that includes hydrolyzed wheat protein and panthenol. It is an alkaline color making it safe for hair and very durable. The formula includes Topchic’s patented Color Link that works at a molecular level for total coverage. The hair color is completely predictable, which is what is highly desired in hair color.
- This formula successfully covers gray hairs.
- Topchic is a salon-quality product that does not disappoint.
- If you have a sensitive scalp, this product will not irritate it.
- Because it is a salon brand, it is more expensive than the store brands on the list.
- Proper application requires a developer to work properly, which can be difficult for do-it-yourselfers to understand.
- Proper application relies on an understanding of mixing salon hair colors.
- Not all of the Topchic colors fade quickly.
8. Softsheen Carson Fade Resist Rich Conditioning – Color Midnight Blue – 382
Dark and Lovely is one of the best brands for black hair, whether relaxed or natural. It includes an exclusive moisture-seal technology. It leaves hair conditioned, silky, and shiny. The color is rich and deep, so you get a beautiful head of hair in your favorite color. The formula includes three fruit oils, including olive, avocado, and shea. The formula locks in color and it only takes 30 minutes to get the color you want.
- This hair dye is very easy to use.
- It is an affordable brand.
- The hair color works on extensions as well as natural hair.
- It provides a subtle color change making it a good choice for people who do not want a major color change.
- The color does fade.
- The color can have patchy coverage if not applied properly.
9. L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Hair Color – 2BL Black Sapphire
This hair color is permanent and is designed to resist fading for up to eight weeks. It is a richly luxurious black color that is modern and sophisticated. L’Oreal includes a gel that helps the hair dye reflect light, so make it look shiny all of the tie. The package includes a shine serum in its conditioner to help keep the color vibrant and silky.
- This hair color is easy to apply
- It includes shine serum in the conditioner
- The package comes with conditioner
- This is one of the most affordably priced boxed hair dye
- The final color result matches the color on the box
- The hair dye does provide permanent color
- It does fade after 8 weeks
10. John Frieda Precision – Foam Colour Blue Black
This is one of the most popular names in hair color. The John Frieda brand of color uses an easy-to-apply non-drip foam so you can cover your hair from root to tip. It is useful for covering those unwanted gray hairs. The drip-free hair color makes it easy to insure that you will have flawless hair without any patchy color. You can use this product at home and the color looks rich for a long time.
- The Frieda foam removes issues with messes.
- Frieda’s non-drip foam stays in the hair for the best color
- This color perfectly covers unwanted grays
- Between coloring sessions, the color does fade
- The formula dyes hair slightly darker than the box color
- Even though the price is affordable, it is the most expensive of the 10 boxed hair dyes on this list
The best blue black hair dye depends on what type of hair color you are looking for. If you want a permanent hair color, the best blue black hair dye is the L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Hair Color in 2BL Black Sapphire. This hair color does not fade after eight weeks of wear and the shiny finish is second to none. The black color is luxurious and rich with the perfect amount of blue. If you are looking for an ammonia-free semi-permanent hair color, then the Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina Hair Color Kit in Blue Black 2BB Blueberry Creme is the best blue black hair dye. This high quality hair dye includes keratin, which strengthens hair, It has an ammonia-free formula that keeps hair hydrated. In only 20 minutes, you can have the color you want in a drip-free formula that will last for 28 shampoos.
However, if you do not mind having ammonia in your hair dye, then the best blue black hair dye is the Vidal Sassoon London Luxe 1BB Midnight Muse Blue. This color has their unique HydraBlock Color Preserving Conditioner that helps prevent fading and the color formula last for 40 washes. The box also includes gray drops so you customize the coloring that you need. The color is expected to last up to 40 washes – which is a long time for a semi-permanent color, but the ammonia in the formula helps the color get saturated into the hair follicle.